It’s almost time to start considering the menu for a certain big football game here in the USA. If you’re looking for good snacks, you can’t go wrong with this one. Kimcheese is like pimento cheese, but with Kimchi substituted for the pimentos. It’s a genius combination.
All you need is your favorite Kimchi (I use Sinto Gourmet Spicy Red Napa Cabbage), some coarsely shredded, assertively flavored cheese, and a little mayonnaise. It goes together quickly and can be spiced to your liking. I imagine it would make a killer cheese toast, spread on baguette slices and run under the broiler until bubbly. Or you could make a grilled Kimcheese sandwich. Wouldn’t that be nice? Add this one to the snack tray and be prepared for rave reviews.
- 3 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1 ounce smoked Gouda cheese, coarsely shredded
- ½ cup finely chopped, well drained kimchi
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons best quality mayonnaise
- Sriracha or chili paste (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine the shredded cheeses, the kimchi, and the sugar. Fold in just enough mayonnaise to bind the mixture. If you used a mild kimchi, you may want to season the spread with a little sriracha or chili, it's up to you.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, if possible. The spread will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Feel free to use any sharp flavored cheese you like, and if you need a larger batch, simply double all the ingredients.